Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Birthday Year of 1961

Today is my little sister's birthday. As a coincidence, she was born on the same day and the same year as President Obama. July 30th was also Lane's birthday and I asked her today how old she is and when she told me, I said that she must have been born in 1961, the same year as my sister.

So what's special about the year 1961? Lane didn't know so I told her... way back then, I was 11 years old and read that 1961 was a year that looked the same right side up as upside down. Before that, the last year with that characteristic was 1881.

I told Lane it was my first glimpse of mortality... as I remember reading that the next year that reads the same upside down as it does right side up is 6009. I knew I wouldn't be around in 6009 and I was like "wow, I'm gonna die before then."  Quite surprising for an 11-year old to think about.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Girlfriend... Where do you get these thoughts! 😝😝
You share such interesting information!!

Pat said...

When I googled it today, I read that Mad Magazine had it on its cover in the March 1961 issue. My reading habits back then included comic books (Superman, Archie, Little Dot, Little Lotta, etc) and Mad Magazine so I must have gotten it there. My tastes have changed only slightly over the years.