Friday, November 20, 2015

Not Exactly on My Bucket List, but...

I did something today I have wanted to do for a number of years. I didn''t do it previously because I couldn't really justify spending the money on a non-essential, but now I'm a bit ahead money wise so I did it:

I ordered a DNA kit from ancestry.com so I can see from whence I came.

If you just go by family ethnicity, I am German and Swedish, but... I have been told twice by different doctors that I have something (a discoloration on my eye, and a discoloration on my gums) which they told me they have never seen on a white person. Hmmmmm... of course part of me is hoping I have something more interesting than German/Swedish DNA so we'll see.

I ordered the kit, and when you get it, you supply saliva in a tube and send it back and then it takes six to eight weeks... so stand by for the results.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

My bet is that your gum discoloration is Neanderthal.

Pat said...

I was thinking, being no scientist, that whatever I get is true for my siblings as well. Right? Same mother and same father have same DNA?

Barbara said...

My understanding is, you get half your DNA from your mother and half from your father, but there's no guarantee you got the same halves as your sister. Unless you're identical twins of course.

Fran said...

Hmmm....perhaps you were eating apples in the garden with a guy named Adam...
Always wanted to do same. Keep us posted about your origins. The results will show what we already know: you are an original.