Saturday, February 13, 2016

Caller ID

I never really used Caller ID because there isn't anyone I'm trying to avoid or don't want to talk to. But I bought a new phone a few weeks ago and decided to put in the batteries to activate Caller ID and now, of course, I look every time. I have yet to NOT take a call, but it is sort of fun knowing who is calling.

I just now had a call where Caller ID said PRIVATE CALLER. Turned out to be a scam Indian, I'm calling from Microsoft Help Desk, your computer is being hacked and we will fix it call. My question is: Do you answer if it's PRIVATE CALLER? I believe it means that the person has gone out of their way to block their name, so should these calls just be ignored?

5 comments:

Mary said...

I mostly don't answer those. I've never had a private caller turn out to be someone worthwhile.

Melissa said...

I don't answer them either... Scams or telemarketers. I also usually do not answer "unknown" callers. And while I'm at it... 888 numbers are almost always telemarketers. I love caller ID much more because it helps me to not miss an important client, than avoiding calls. I didn't realize you didn't have it :).

Pat said...

What does UNKNOWN caller mean? How is it different than Private?

Barbara said...

One of my best friends is a "private caller" because she chooses to be. But I think it is safe to not answer them because if you know anyone like that, they will leave a message. Scammers don't leave messages. I'm not sure of the difference between unknown and private. Maybe unknown is one of those throw-away cellphones?

Amy Laboda said...

Some international calls come in as unknown on my landline. Generally I won't pick them up unless I'm in a curious mood. Nine times out of 10 it is not a call I want or care about.