Thursday, February 11, 2016

Hey, Big Spender...

So this is embarrassing. My cleaning woman makes quarterly trips to Costco to buy cleaning products and other stuff like laundry soap for me at a great discount. She just buys what she needs which is fine with me. Today she arrived and handed me a receipt... I glanced at it and saw $90 and change... so I gave her $100 in cash, thinking I was giving her an extra ten dollars just for her trouble and time (and her lugging all the stuff in...)

She resisted, and I insisted.

After she left, I looked at the receipt again, and yes $90 was on there, but it was a sub-total... with New York State 8.25% sales tax... the total was $98.26 cents... Yes, I was Lady Bountiful giving her $1.74 tip. Oh well, my heart was in the right place.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I thought you said your eyes had gotten better!

Pat said...

It wasn't my eyes... $90 WAS on the receipt. I think the problem was that I wanted to quickly see how much I owed her and didn't want to appear to be scrutinizing the receipt as if I didn't trust her. I wouldn't even have needed a receipt. I think I need to be less sensitive and take the time to see what the GRAND total is.