Sunday, July 24, 2016

My Trip to Vermont

Just got back from a trip to Vermont for a wedding -- more on that in a bit. I'd been to Vermont, but not for years, and the destination was Woodstock, which is sort of a picture postcard resort town, full of B&Bs which made me think of the old Bob Newhart show.Wasn't their B&B in Vermont? It was lovely, but I don't think I could ever live there. What do people do? I didn't even see a movie theater. Hiking, I guess. Reading, I guess. Doing nothing, I guess, which is an admirable passtime, but you kinda want to do something.

And yes, there are really covered bridges:








When I first decided to go to the wedding, I looked on line and the town has mostly (almost entirely) B&Bs that cost $250 to $300 a night. I am not a B&B fan as I think it's the worst of both worlds. You're like a houseguest who has to pay. Then, of course, I imagined these old Victorian homes and be told my room was on the third floor. And I really didn't want to pay that much a night. So I found this place -- Sleep Woodstock -- which is a 1950s style motel which was totally renovated. It had 10 rooms, and jut like an old motel, you parked right at your room door which I appreciate.

My room was small, but totally spotless... had a refrigerator, microwave, Keurig coffeemaker with pods, really big screen tv, king size bed with down comforter in an immaculate white duvet cover, desk, totally renovated bathroom --- all spotless. And it was $75 a night.

As I said, this is a resort town, complete with the main street with precious little stores. I no longer have the patience for these things, but people swarm to them.


 
 
And now for the wedding. It was Karen, daughter of Mac & Stancie and I made the trip since all her life Karen and her sister called me Aunt Pat. I really am happy I went to see it. The wedding was held at a country club, with the wedding outside, way in the middle of the golf course in an isolated area... took all the guests there by golf cart which was good, but it was blazing hot, full sun, even though the ceremony started at 5. Stancie told me that on Wednesday, they were all wearing sweaters.
 
 
The ceremony was very short, probably 20 minutes tops, performed by a woman justic of the peace who I felt struck a great combination of solemnity and light heartedness. For example, at the end, she wished the couple;s home have "the warmth of a summer day" but then added, "well, maybe not as warm as today." This is Mac walking Karen down the aisle. I later said to Stancie that Karen looked like a little girl to me walking with her father and she agreed.



I know these aren't great photos, but here is the couple leaving the ceremony... Karen's dress was beautiful and the back looked like it was open, but it was flesh-colored netting and she really is a beautiful bride.



And this is me with Karen the bride and her sister Martha. It was so good to see them.

After the ceremony, there was an inside cocktail reception, followed by a family style dinner rather than a plated dinner or a buffet which I really liked. She had cesar salad to start, followed by salmon and beef tenderloin, this very interesting cold potato salad made with cucumbers and jalapeno, and then broccoli. Karen did not want a traditional wedding cake, so dessert was strawberry shortcake.

I left the following morning, but Karen was leading the wedding guests up a mountain... uh yeah, I'll pass. A friend mentioned maybe I could get a sherpa and I said it would take more than a sherpa to get my butt up that mountain... I asked Karen if it were as bad as she described in the email invite and she said, it's pretty steep... and takes about 40 minutes so I hope they made it. I thought of them as I got in my car to leave at 8:45 am and it was already 90 degrees. The hike started at 10.

Oh well, hope the view was worth it as Karen promised. It is beatufiul country... oh and I did see a sign (a serious road sign) that siad "Watch for Moose" but I didn't see one.

One last thought: in the "for better or for worse" part of the wedding vows, the JP said "when life is easy and when life is hard" and that part made me tear up as life can get hard sometimes... anyway, it was a beautiful weddding for a beautiful girl.

2 comments:

Amy Laboda said...

It sounds like a beautiful summer wedding. I wish them all the very best. Glad yare home safe and staying cool. This is a hot Airventure.

Mary said...

She is a beautiful girl, as is Martha. The wedding looks lovely too.