Monday, August 14, 2017

My First Uber Ride

Have finally joined the Uber crowd. Had a doctor's appointment at 10 am and knew I wouldn't be able to get a cab so I downloaded Uber, played with it a bit and was afraid I would mistakenly order a car.

So this morning, I went outside, entered my address, entered my destination and within two minutes (really, two minutes) a car arrived. I told the driver this was my first Uber trip and he said "Welcome to Uber!" I did Uber coming home as well as the Uber fare is about $10 less than a cab.

All in all, I had an excellent experience. When we were pulling up to my destination at the doctor's office, I asked the driver if I had to sign something or just get out. He told me I had to say goodbye to him first and then get out... which I did.

My question is... who tips Uber? I have asked two people, both of whom had the same answer which is "tipping is new, good question." I didn't tip the first guy for no other reason that "you don't have to tip Uber" flashed in my mind... and returning, the fare was $22 and it asked for a two dollar, three dollar or five dollar tip... so I gave three dollars.

I was slow to adapt to Uber as it is typically quite easy to get a cab, but not in rush hour times like this morning.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Well, I hope you are ready for my anti-Uber screed! Here goes. There are so many threats to working people these days and Uber is one of the most evil. There is a terrible social cost to your cheap and convenient ride. Uber has artificially set fares low to destroy the competition. Because of this, soon there will be no yellow cabs, and when other options are gone, Uber will control the market and charge you whatever it wants. Meanwhile, the low fares hurt only the drivers (who take the cut), not Uber (who always takes the same high commission for itself). Drivers are called “independent contractors” but don’t think they are happily free – they have to pay their costs up front (car maintenance, taxes, insurance), while having no benefits, no job security, no pension – and must drive long overtime hours to barely make a living wage.

Pat said...

It's my second lecture of the day about Uber so I know the argument.